Lenore Taliaferro Memorial Academic Scholarship
The Montana Gerontology Society (MGS) is sponsoring a $1,500 scholarship for a Montana student who is pursuing a career in the field of aging. A one-year membership in the Montana Gerontology Society and a waiver of the registration fee for the annual conference will be included with this award. Scholarship awardees will be announced at the Montana Gerontology Society Conference held virtually, April 12-13, 2021.
- A student at a Montana college or university
- Interested in pursuing a career gerontology and/or geriatrics in any field of study
- In need of financial assistance to achieve academic goals
- Currently enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours per semester
- Enrolled in at least six credit hours the semester following receipt of the award at the annual conference
For full consideration for this award, each student MUST submit:
- Completed application
- Copy of transcript or other educational records
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from Deans, Professors, Advisors, or Supervisors with at least one recommendation provided by a faculty member
- Resume or vitae demonstrating commitment to work in the field of aging through courses, volunteer activities, work experiences, etc.
- Personal statement: Written essay identifying academic and professional goals demonstrating pursuit of achievements in the field of aging (250 word limit, typed). Include a profile of past gerontology/geriatrics experience, a description of how the scholarship will assist your studies and future educational plans in gerontology/geriatrics
The MGS Merit Scholarship Award recipient will be selected based upon the following criteria:
- Commitment to gerontology, as demonstrated by resume/vitae, educational goals, and experience
- Professional qualities described in the two (2) letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Grade Point Average
All application materials must be postmarked or emailed by March 1, 2021. The MGS Scholarship Committee will evaluate all application materials. Final selection will be made in March 2021. The scholarship will be awarded at the MGS Annual Conference and will be sent directly to your school. The recipient must attend the MGS Annual Conference to receive the scholarship award.